Below is the step-by-step process to become a reserve police recruit. Upon successful completion of all of these steps, you will be placed into the pre-hire program prior to attending training at the Phoenix Police Reserve Academy.
If you have questions about any of these steps, contact a recruiter at (602) 534-9000 or email@example.com.
Step 1: Complete AZPOST Personal History Packet
- Go to my.azpost.gov and register for an account
- Return to my.azpost.gov and log into the newly created account
- Complete the AZPOST Personal History Statement
- On the ‘Share’ option of the application, select the Phoenix Police Department
- **Record the Form ID number located at the top of this page for your records as this will be needed in the next step**
- Download, complete, and notarize the Authorization Release and Confidential Agreement Form
- Obtain two color passport-type photographs in business attire
- Both the notarized PDF and passport photos will be turned in at the POPAT (physical fitness test)
Step 2: Contact the Reserve Division
- Contact a Reserve Division Recruiting Officer, either by emailing Police.Reserve@Phoenix.Gov or by calling 602-534-9000 and let them know your online packet has been completed and provide your AZPOST form ID #
- **We have no way of knowing you submitted the packet unless you notify us**
- A POPAT (physical fitness test) will be scheduled
Step 3: Peace Officer Physical Aptitude Test (POPAT)
- Bring the notarized PDF forms and passport photos to the physical fitness test
The POPAT consists of the following events:
- Solid Fence Climb
- Chain Link Fence Climb
- 165lb Body Drag
- 99 Yard Obstacle (agility) Course
- 500 Yard Run
Visit the Phoenix Police YouTube channel for instructional videos or click each of the links above
More information regarding POPAT (PDF)
Step 4: Background Interview
After successful completion of the POPAT, applicants will be contacted by a background investigator to schedule an interview.
Step 5: Polygraph Examination
Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, professional examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant's background packet.
Step 6: Psychological Test
Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
Step 7: Medical Examination
Applicants will undergo a complete medical examination given by a licensed physician
Step 8: Controlled Substance Screening
Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis at some point in the hiring process.
Visit Recruit Training for more information