Below is the step-by-step process to become a reserve police recruit. Upon successful completion of all of these steps, you will be placed into the pre-hire program prior to attending training at the Phoenix Police Reserve Academy.
If you have questions about any of these steps, contact a recruiter at (602) 534-9000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
STEP 1: Complete and Return Background Packet
- The first step in becoming a reserve police recruit is to fully complete the background packet. In order to continue with the application process, please open the two documents below, complete the background packet according to the instructions, and return your completed background packet to the Reserve Division for review. Please contact a recruiter at (602) 534-9000 or email@example.com to schedule a time to return.
Background Packet Instructions
STEP 2: Background Questionnaire Investigation & Interview
- Upon returning a fully completed background packet, qualified applicants will contacted a short time later (1-4 weeks) to set-up the initial background interview. Applicants will now be required to bring a completed resume to their first interview.
see if you qualify by taking our quiz
STEP 3: Polygraph Examination
- Applicants will be given a polygraph examination (lie detector test) administered by a trained, professional examiner. The test will confirm information noted on the applicant's background investigation packet.
STEP 4: Peace Officer Physical Aptitude Test (POPAT)
Learn more about the POPAT
STEP 5: Psychological Test
- Applicants will be evaluated by a licensed psychologist.
STEP 6: Medical Examination
- Applicants will undergo a complete medical examination by a licensed physician.
STEP 7: Controlled Substance Screening
- Applicants will be required to submit to a urinalysis at some point in the hiring process.
Upon successful completion of all the above steps, qualified applicants will be eligible to attend the academy as a reserve police recruit.
Visit Recruit Training for more information